Kale & Quinoa Soup
2 boxes (32 oz) of Pacifica Organic Vegetable Broth (or homemade broth of your choice)
1 large yellow onion, diced
4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, dices
2 large celery stalks, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons herb of choice (my fav is Herbs de Provence)
organic coconut oil
½ c organic quinoa, uncooked**
2 cans (15 oz each) white beans or bean of choice, drained and rinsed
1 head kale (red, green, or lacinato/dinosaur), chopped
1. Heat 1 cup of water and quinoa over low/medium heat.
2. Soft boil for 20 minutes until the quinoa is cooked. Quinoa is cooked when the spiral-like germ has separated and is floating in the broth.
3. While quinoa is cooking, stir-fry the onions and garlic in coconut oil until the onions are translucent. Add carrots and celery with salt & pepper to taste – cook for 2-3 minutes then add diced tomatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes to heat.
4. Transfer cooked vegetable mixture to a pot with the broth and add cooked quinoa and beans on medium heat.
5. Add chopped kale at the end and mix in, but do not cook. The heat from the soup will soften the kale without destroying all the good vitamins and minerals and anti-aging properties!